Re: CPU options during config

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 03:39:33 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Lever <chucklever@netscape.net>
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Cc: torvalds@transmeta.com <torvalds@transmeta.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 05, 1999 8:07 PM
Subject: CPU options during config

just thought i'd mention this minor bug... (v 2.2.0-pre4 on ia32)

during kernel configuration, the new processor family menu looks like:

386
486/Cx486
586/K5/5x86/6x86
Pentium/TSC
PPro/K6/6x86MX
^^

but the help text says that a K6 is a Pentium, not a Pentium Pro.

AFAIK, the AMD K6 is a Socket 7 Pentium replacement, not a Pentium Pro
or Pentium-II, so the help text is correct, and the menu should
be fixed.

If I remember correctly the 6x86 are suppose to be ppro opcode compatable
(at least from 200 Mhz and up). I suspect the K6 is as well. Remember that
the main reason intel abandoned the socket 7 architecture is that they are
trying to impose their own proprietary architecture, a la MCA.
Unfortunately they are succeeding somewhat. However this doesn't make the
latest socket 7 chips only pentium compatable.

--
Chuck