Re: [patch] new-vm improvement [Re: 2.2.0 Bug summary]

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 04:30:59 -0500 (EST)

Ben McCann writes:

> Note the wall-clock time increases from 18 minutes to almost
> 22 minutes and the number of page faults increases from 188,000
> to 298,500. It seems something is invalidating pages too
> aggressively in your patch.
>
> Is there something I can tune to improve this? Is there an
> experiment I can run to help fine-tune your VM changes?

For the past few weeks, VM patches and benchmark results have been
going back and forth. I start to worry that Linux is being tuned
to run benchmarks, not to run useful software. Please be careful.