Re: [OFFTOPIC] Gnumenclature was Re: IBM, was never Re: Linux

asethman@mandate-inc.com
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:05:26 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Marcin Dalecki wrote:

> Could the responsible maintainer of this list please just
> black-mark RMS to help preventing this kind of annoyance in
> the feature?
I think this is a little extreme. Yes I know that this list is supposed to
be for the development of the kernel, but it does turn political at times.
And RMS politics are relevent at times to the Linux and the free software
community.

> He never contributed anything to the developement of the
> linux kernel at this place other then claiming his own credits for
> work done by others and starting stiupid discussions on his
> road to hijack the success of others. And this is something that
> is disqualifying...
I think more than anything RMS feels a little slighted that the Free
Software Foundation hasn't gotten the publicity that Linux has got. And
of course all of us use FSF code. And I can understand him wanting credit
for that. If you don't like the GNU/Linux nomclature nobody is going to
force you to use it.

> PS. I urge everybody to take the time and just remove the
> letters GNU from COPYING in programms he is distributing to
> the public. Maybe this way the impression about the FSF as beeing
> something big, a kind of project, would settle finally
> with time...
I'm not sure of the legality of removing the GNU from the COPYING file as
it is copyrighted by FSF. And according to the Copyright on it "Everyone
is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this license
document, but changing it is not allowed." Also wouldn't this require
everybody who has ever contributed code under the GPL license, agree to
the changes of the license, as those outlined in the FSF version of
COPYING are the only ones they agreed to??

Aaron(beating the dead horse dead....)