Re: Oops on poweroff (2.2.0-pre4)

Kris Karas (ktk@ktk.bidmc.harvard.edu)
Wed, 06 Jan 1999 14:37:47 -0500

Stephen.Rothwell writes:

> > Linux 2.2.0-pre4 crashes on poweroff. The oops message is many pages long
> You are the second person with a Gigabyte motherboard to report this.
> We suspect a bad BIOS as the line EIP: 0050:[<00008896>]
> indicates that the code is being executed out of the BIOS

I've noticed the same behavior, on a HP vectra (using HP's BIOS), on a
SuperMicro P6-DS (Modern AMI BIOS) and on an ASUS P2B-DS (Award BIOS). It's
also interesting to note that if the LK is compiled UP, APM is enabled, and
the config ooption for "poweroff on shutdown" enabled, the machine/BIOS powers
off just fine. So perhaps what's happening is that the kernel's SysRq
poweroff feature isn't initializing the APM the way it would otherwise have
been initialized, and this is causing the BIOS to become confused.

--
Kristofer Karas                           *      kXtXk@bigfoot.com (delete X's)
AMA/CCS DoD RF900RR HawkGT !car           *    Senior systems engineer/SysAdmin