Re: dcache problems with vfat

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 15:27:07 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Gordon Chaffee wrote:

> Yes, we really do need to be able to access by short names. Things like
> Wine depend on them. I have a test suite that can be found at
> http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/vfat.html
>
> It runs some alias tests like the above. I just added the above test
> to my own copy of the suite (not the one of the web site).

Now, if it would be the only bug... rename() starts from unlink() /
rmdir() on target - there goes rename() semantics. rename() doesn't notice
if somebody keeps alias opened and breaks a lot of stuff (semaphore sits
in inode). unlink() and rmdir() are also unhappy with it. Please, don't
take it as whining - I'm going to submit fixes for that, but I suspect
that it might be easier to provide an ioctl (for directories) that would
convert short name into the long one and make WINE use it.
BTW, IMHO changing inode under dentry is evil and unnecessary:
we can remove_inode_hash(), change i_ino and then do insert_inode_hash().
It's what I did (testing right now) with msdosfs.
Cheers,
Al