Re: kernel: st: Can't allocate new tape buffer (nbr 0)

Thomas Lakofski (tommy@88.net)
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 16:14:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > Jan 6 04:30:01 oi kernel: No tape buffers allocated at initialization.
> > Jan 6 04:30:01 oi kernel: st: Can't allocate new tape buffer (nbr 0).
> > Jan 6 04:30:01 oi kernel: Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id
> > 2, lun 0
>
> Memory fragmentation. You can work around it by quitting
> Netscape or doing something else that frees up a ton of
> memory.
>
> There's no real fix for it in 2.2. We probably should
> do something about it for 2.3...
>
> Even a workaround where we reserve half a meg for DMA
> buffers is probably better than the current situation.

Hmmm... This is my primary mail/dns/www/everything-on-the-net server, it
runs headless on another continent, so no netscape. Would running
something like memtest to grab a chunk of memory and then release it just
before the backup starts help?

Another thought -- if you push most of the software on the machine into
swap by grabbing RAM with memtest, when it gets paged back in will it be
defragmented at all?

Regards,

Thomas Lakofski

please forgive my abrupt ending hre - but my conection is
xtrememleyyhiclmelyey BAD hiccuppy etc must sign off -
EF D8 33 68 B3 E3 E9 D2 C1 3E 51 22 8A AA 7B 98