Re: Drastic performance issue in ext2 v ffs

C S Hendrix (shendrix@escape.widomaker.com)
Thu, 07 Jan 1999 11:10:26 -0500

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.990106073039.903A-100000@air.fast.net>, "Steven N. Hi
rsch" writes:

> Tom,
>
> There have been drastic changes to the directory-entry / inode handling in
> 2.1.x (now 2.2.0-pre-release) kernels. It would be interesting to compare
> the performance of the latest-and-greatest to OpenBSD, bearing in mind
> that the Linux box has a 2/3 handicap in CPU speed.

I ran his tests on my system's /var, 62M with loads of small files
(news). My system is SMP, 2.1.132, 200MHz PPros and a DPT 2044W
controller. Seagate Hawk drive. 256MB RAM.

All the tests were faster than his BSD reports, most well under
one second.

I personally don't think the test is that meaningful because you
really want to test throughput on something larger. Once in RAM,
the test ran in tenths of a second on my machine. I'm sure the
bottleneck is X at that point... :)

--
Shannon - shendrix@widomaker.com - www.widomaker.com - Linux 2.0.x
"Criminals today have guns. Soon they will have computers and other

--
Shannon - shendrix@widomaker.com - www.widomaker.com - Linux 2.0.x