Re: us.kernel.org mirroring inconsistency

Florian Lohoff (flo@rfc822.org)
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 18:06:29 +0100

On Mon, Jan 04, 1999 at 10:07:31AM +0000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> No, that is not foolish. Look not at 2M files but at 10M files, which
> is the size of the kernel. I think it is more foolish to keep the old
> .gz files when it is so clear that .bz2 is much better. (And everyone
> running Red Hat Linux will have bzip2(1) pre-installed anyway).

More disturbing i think are people pulling the whole tarball everytime.
I think we have to force them to learn how patch works and I think
we should do by releasing the patches 48 hours prior to the whole
tarball. The ones urgently wanting to have the kernel get the
patch.

Flo

--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any two (you can't have all three).  (RFC 1925)