Re: arca-vm-8 [Re: [patch] arca-vm-6, killed kswapd [Re: [patch] new-vm , improvement , [Re: 2.2.0 B

Zlatko Calusic (Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr)
07 Jan 1999 19:55:25 +0100

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

[snip]

> That way I can be reasonably hopeful that there are no new bugs introduced
> even though performance is very different. I _do_ have some early data
> that seems to say that this _has_ uncovered a very old deadlock condition:
> something that could happen before but was almost impossible to trigger.
>
> The deadlock I suspect is:
> - we're low on memory
> - we allocate or look up a new block on the filesystem. This involves
> getting the ext2 superblock lock, and doing a "bread()" of the free
> block bitmap block.
> - this causes us to try to allocate a new buffer, and we are so low on
> memory that we go into try_to_free_pages() to find some more memory.
> - try_to_free_pages() finds a shared memory file to page out.
> - trying to page that out, it looks up the buffers on the filesystem it
> needs, but deadlocks on the superblock lock.
>
> Note that this could happen before too (I've not removed any of the
> codepaths that could lead to it), but it was dynamically _much_ less
> likely to happen.

You could be very easily right. Look below.

> I'm not even sure it really exists, but I have some really old reports
> that _could_ be due to this, and a few more recent ones (that I never
> could explain). And I have a few _really_ recent ones from here internally
> at transmeta that looks like it's triggering more easily these days.
>
> (Note that this is not actually pre5-related: I've been chasing this on
> and off for some time, and it seems to have just gotten easier to trigger,
> which is why I finally have a theory on what is going on - just a theory
> though, and I may be completely off the mark).
>
> The positive news is that if I'm right in my suspicions it can only happen
> with shared writable mappings or shared memory segments. The bad news is
> that the bug appears rather old, and no immediate solution presents
> itself.

Exactly. I was torture testing shared mapping when I got very weird
deadlock. It happened only once, few days ago. Look at report and
enjoy:

Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: SysRq: Show Memory
Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: Mem-info:
Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: Free pages: 512kB
Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: ( Free: 128 (128 256 384)
Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: 0*4kB 0*8kB 0*16kB 0*32kB 0*64kB 4*128kB = 512kB)
Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: Swap cache: add 131125/131125, delete 130652/13065
2, find 0/0
Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: Free swap: 231632kB
Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: 16384 pages of RAM
Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: 956 reserved pages
Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: 17996 pages shared
Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: 473 pages swap cached
Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: 13 pages in page table cache
Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: Buffer memory: 14696kB
Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: Buffer heads: 14732
Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: Buffer blocks: 14696
Jan 5 03:49:14 atlas kernel: CLEAN: 144 buffers, 18 used (last=122), 0 locke
d, 0 protected, 0 dirty

This looks exactly like the problem you were describing, isn't it?

[snip]
> Basically, I think that the stuff we handle now with the swap-cache we do
> well on already, and we'd only really want to handle the shared memory
> case with PG_dirty. But I think this is a 2.3 issue, and I only added the
> comment (and the PG_dirty define) for now.

Nice, thanks. That will make experimenting slightly easier and will
give courage to people to actually experiment with PG_Dirty
implementation. So far, only Eric did some work in this area.

Of course, this is all 2.3 work.

> > Linus is this a case you feel is important to tune for 2.2?
> > If so I would be happy to play with it.
>
> It might be something good to test out, but I really don't want patches at
> this date (unless your patches also fix the above deadlock problem, which
> I can't see them doing ;)

Sure!

--
Zlatko