Re: arca-vm-8 [Re: [patch] arca-vm-6, killed kswapd [Re: [patch] new-vm , improvement , [Re: 2.2.0 B

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 01:04:19 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Ehh, and how do you protect against somebody playing games with your mind
> by doing _huge_ mappings of something that takes no real memory? The VM
> footprint of a process is not necessarily related to how much physical
> memory you use.

I was infact rejecting from the total_vm calc all tasks with a rss == 0,
but yes, I am convinced that my more fine grined counter is not needed.

Andrea Arcangeli