Re: System is too big. Try using bzImage or modules.

Chris Noe (stiker@northlink.com)
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 17:34:52 -0700 (MST)

On 7 Jan 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Followup to: <199901052330.PAA17798@Midnight.Hacking.in.the.land.of.Kalifornia.com>
> By author: David <david@kalifornia.com>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > Your zImage *is* too big. Continue to use bzImage instead of zImage as
> > the error message suggests. Software grows in size. Boot code is
> > contrained to a given size. If X exceeeds Y, then use a better
> > compression for X.
> >

> Wrong, sorry. bzImages are "big zImages" and have nothing to do with
> bzip (both zImage and bzImage use gzip). The difference is that in
> the bzImage format the 512K limit has been removed.

I think it'd be a great idea to finally remove the ability to build
zImages from the kernel, and just make all x86 builds bzImages. It's
bootcode that gets chucked after we load anyway, so from the small
increase in code size that I see the switch won't adversely effect
anything.

It would be a much saner way of doing it than having to have the user
'guess' if they're at the zImage memory limit with their config, and then
go through a build that fails screaming 'build me as bzImage', only to
have to be bugged with finishing compiling with 'make bzImage'.

Imagine a new linux user compiling the kernel, of course with every known
config option selected. :) He's going to instantly assume something is
broken, instead of just recompiling with 'make bzImage'.

We *really* don't need the old zImage type loader any more do we? I heard
it worked on some old machines where bzImage failed, but I'm not so quick
to believe that.

I'll volunteer to write up a patch for early 2.3; it doesn't seem like too
bad of an idea.

Comments?
People who have had problems with bzImages?

Chris Noe
(stiker@northlink.com)