Re: "System is too big. Try using bzImage or modules."

Rik van Riel (riel@humbolt.geo.uu.nl)
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 02:26:52 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Robert Kiesling wrote:

> > It worked, it was just telling you that you have to do it differntly if
> > the compressed image is over 512k. Old versions of loadlin and lilo didn't
> > support bzImage, which is why it doesn't just do it silently.
>
> I don't suppose there's a way to guarantee that lilo is up to date.

There is a way to test it though... If LILO is new enough
and the system is too large we can simply build a bzImage
without exiting (but with a BIG-FAT-WARNING, of course)

> Seems odd - why not simply have a facility in the configuration
> that tells you when the kernel (without modules) is oversize, and
> allows you to adjust the options accordingly?

Because code size is extremely varying and there's no way
to tell up front how lange everything is going to be.

Rik -- If a Microsoft product fails, who do you sue?