Re: New Kernel Problems

Drago Goricanec (drago@king.otsd.ts.fujitsu.co.jp)
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 12:39:38 +0900

On Wed, 06 Jan 1999 12:43:08 -0500, Adam Grossman <agrossman@home.com> writes:
> i tried looking in the HOW-TO, FAQS, and other sources of info, but i
> couldn't find the answer anywhere...
>
> I have RH5.1/x86 and I compiled kernel v2.0.36. it boooted up, but i
> have a problem where i can't see certain files anymore. e.g. i can't see
> the link "/lib/modules/preferred->2.0.34/" when you boot up 2.0.36, but
> i can when i boot up in 2.0.34. and when i try to create the link
> "/lib/modules/preferred->2.0.36/" while in kernel 2.0.36, i can create
> it, but it is gone when i reboot.......
>
> i have no idea what i did wrong, but i am assuming it's something when i
> configured the kernel...

A RedHat system automatically creates the /lib/modules/preferred
symbolic link to point the the module directory corresponding to the
kernel you're running. This is done in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit on every
restart.

Make sure you've built and installed the modules for the 2.0.36 kernel
with 'make modules; make modules_install', and reboot to 2.0.36.

Then, type:

# cat /proc/version > /lib/modules/2.0.36/.rhkmvtag

The rc.sysinit uses this tag to verify the kernel version and the
modules belong together. Next time you restart, everything will be
back to normal[*].

[*] You can avoid this restart if you reexecute only the actions in
the rc.sysinit script that would depend on the change you made
earlier.

Good luck,
Drago