RE: 2.0 kernels, tulip driver, crashes and reboots (long)

Geoff Thompson (geofft@waikato.ac.nz)
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 17:00:40 +1300 (NZDT)

Al,

I'm possibly not the most qualified person to answer this, but a couple of
ideas spring to mind :

1. What drivers/modules are loaded/built into the kernel. Perhaps disabling as
much as possible (including APM support if it's enabled) may help.

2. I am not familiar with the motherboards, but running your tests on a
system with a different motherboard chipset may at least narrow down what may
be at fault (since you seem to have problems with a ne2000 ethernet card
anyway). Have you tried an Intel based motherboard??

3. What Drives are involved IDE/SCSI/None? Perhaps disbling the
IDE/SCSI interfaces in the BIOS and booting a kernel off a floppy, no swap,
maybe another good test of your systems.

Just a couple of thoughts for you.

Geoff.

On 07-Jan-99 Al Youngwerth wrote:
> We make an embedded system that uses linux and a headless PC. We're trying
> to qualify a new hardware platform that use a VIA VPX based motherboard
> (from Epox), Intel Pentium 133, 16MB RAM, and a PNIC-based 10/100 tulip
> clone. Part of our qualification testing is to get a bunch of systems
> running in a room without any crashes or spontaneous reboots for over two
> weeks. We've been having some trouble.
>
> To test the systems, we load up a little test program that blinks LEDs on
> the system so we have a visual indication of a system's basic health. We
> also added a cron job once a minute so we have a steady log to track
> crashes/reboots and then we have a program on the system that can parse the
> logs to detect crashes or reboots. All of this information is then uploaded
> to a server so we can build a spreadsheet of crashes and reboots.
>
> Here's what we've found: out of 50+ systems running over the past 8 weeks,
> everyone of them has crashed (locked-up) or spontaneously rebooted. We have
> observed the results of some crashes with a video card and keyboard plugged
> in the system, no kernel panic, just a blank screen. The reboots are not
> graceful shutdowns, the disk partitions are always dirty.
>
> We've run many different tests to try to eliminate certain factors and
> focus in on others. Whenever we run a different test, we put it on at 10
> systems and observe what happens. All systems are essentially idle and not
> connected to a network (except on a one by one basis to telnet in to check
> the logs). Thermals in the systems are good (ambient room temperature ~32C,
> in-case ambient ~36C, top of CPU ~42C). Here's some of the data points
> we've taken.
>
> 1) Stock 2.0.35 kernel locks and reboots. A stock 2.0.36 kernel only
> reboots. We have loaded 10 systems with a stock 2.0.31 kernel, no reboots
> in 2 days (still inconclusive). Average time to reboot for a 2.0.36 kernel
> varies between the systems ranging from an average once every 4 days to
> once every 23 days (the overall average across all units is once every 8.5
> days). Unfortunately, we don't have accurate data on the frequency of the
> 2.0.35 kernel reboots because we didn't realize they we're rebooting until
> we started parsing the logs (after we swtiched our focus to the 2.0.36
> kernel). The stock 2.0.35 kernel was crashing on average, across all units,
> about once every 12 days.
>
> 2) A 2.0.36 kernel with the .90f version of the tulip driver both locks and
> reboots. Tulip .89K and .87 only reboot, no lockups (.87 is stock for .35
> and .36).
>
> 3) 10 systems with ne2000 cards and the 2.0.36 kernel in them reboot but
> don't lockup.
>
> 4) We don't believe it is related to other software running on the systems.
> We took 10 systems down to the point that they were running only inetd (so
> we could telnet into them), klogd, and syslogd. We still got reboots.

> [...]

Geoff Thompson <geofft@waikato.ac.nz>
University of Waikato,
Hamilton, New Zealand
Ph: (07) 838 4748

Random Quote of the Minute :
These days the necessities of life cost you about three times what they
used to, and half the time they aren't even fit to drink.