Re: [OFFTOPIC] Gnumenclature was Re: IBM, was never Re: Linux Kernel

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
8 Jan 1999 09:49:12 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.m0zxc9j-0007U3C@the-village.bc.nu>,
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> You know, the Berkeley people never would have insisted that we call it
>> Berkeley Linux if we had used their versions of all of these tools. In
>> retrospect, I wonder if it wasn't a mistake not to have done so.
>
>Of course not. Thats why they require you plaster their name all over your
>advertising material and manuals.

I'm not sure that's the case; I certainly don't see their name plastered
all over the advertising material and manuals for any of the versions of
Linux that include Berkeley code (I believe that would be all of them
except possibly the Linux Router Project's distribution.)

____
david parsons \bi/ And there's nothing wrong with giving credit where
\/ credit is due.