Re: Rescan IDE interfaces

Matthew Geier (matthew@janus.law.usyd.edu.au)
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 10:18:47 +1100 (EST)

> On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 02:55:52PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > It isnt a "no code" currently. With valid hot swappable drives the
> > IDE layer and PCMCIA layer both assume the other one will deal with
> > cache flushing. So the 2nd disk you insert sometimes gets tattooed
> > with pieces of the first. This is a _bad_ IDE/PCMCIA bug.
>
> Won't:
>
> umount <ide>
> sync
> <spin down & swap>
> open <ide> & ioctl to re-read paritional table (invalidates cache)
> mount
>
> work?

I often use flash cards in my Linux laptop ( from a camera) and once
forgot to unmount the card before ejecting and swapping the card. Even
though the cards had been mounted read only, the card I inserted ended
up with a corrupt file system.
Ive had NO problems if I do the right thing, but corrupting the FS on
a read only mount certainly surprised me!.