Re: TCP behaviour change between 2.0.36 and 2.2pre4

Ben Hutchings (womble@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 22:28:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Meelis Roos wrote:

> DSM> Your application needs to be fixed, it should sink all read data
> DSM> remaining on the socket before closing. If data is unread, TCP does
> DSM> not know if this was intentional and assumes that data integrity has
> DSM> been lost (because transfered bytes did not make it to the receiving
> DSM> application), and thus the RST response to indicate this.
>
> If I understand correctly this approach has a race condition. The
> application can't guarantee that there's no data left: it reads all
> then some data arrives and then the app closes the socket.

It is up to the designers of higher-level protocols to define how a
normal end-of-session should be agreed upon by the two parties.

--
Ben Hutchings, software engineer | web site to be reconstructed at some time
womble@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk | Team *AMIGA* | Jay Miner Society - www.jms.org