Re: [Off-Topic] Distribution 2.2-ready

Clifford Wolf (clifford@clifford.at)
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 02:02:53 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Alexandre Hautequest wrote:

> Is there any linux distribution 2.2-ready, that cames with
> updated-binutils, updated-pppd, and so on, to match 2.2 requeriments?

ROCK Linux is currently based on linux 2.2.0-pre5, glibc 2.0.109, egcs
1.1.1 and other new stuff. This is for the internal version. The latest
devel snapshot is based on 2.1.131 - but this doesn't make a big
difference .... :-)

But there are a few things you should know about ROCK Linux:

1.) It's in heavy development. Don't expect to much. Beta 5 doesn't have
an X11 interface or a pppd. Beta 6 which will be released the next
days and has allready X11 with some X11 apps like gimp.

2.) You can't download a precompiled version of ROCK Linux. ROCK Linux is
a set of scripts which downloads all package sources from the
internet, compiles them and builds packages. The time you need to
download the sources depends on how big your line is (you need to
download about 175 MB). Compiling takes about 5-6 hours on my K6-2
300MHz.

3.) ROCK Linux is not a User friendly Linux - and will never be. Instead
of nice config tools you have to edit the config files directly and
instead of a menu based installation utility there is an "install shell"
which lets you select packages using shell patterns. I need about 14
minutes to install and configure ROCK Linux. But someone without Linux
experience will be lost.

4.) ROCK Linux uses devfs. If you don't like this, it's up to you to
create a real dev filesystem (and to reverse a lot of patches) ...

5.) The documentation should be improved. I wouldn't wonder if one does
not find "the right switches" becouse the "lables" are missing. :-)

You can download the Beta 5 of ROCK Linux at
<http://www.rock-projects.com/linux/rock-pre1.0/>.

Beta 6 will be released in the next few days. A full installation of
the current devel version takes about 480 MB of diskspace. This are
149 binary packages.

The 1.0 final release will be there in the next few months - but not
before glibc 2.1, linux 2.2, Enlightment 0.15 and some other stuff is
finished.

greetings,
- clifford

Clifford Wolf (CEO and CTO)
The ROCK Projects Workgoup IRC: IRCnet / clifford
http://www.rock-projects.com/ http://www.clifford.at/
e-mail: c.wolf@rock-projects.com email: god@clifford.at