Re: kernel: st: Can't allocate new tape buffer (nbr 0)

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
8 Jan 1999 23:28:50 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.990107155858.15315A-100000@oi.88.net>,
Thomas Lakofski <tommy@88.net> wrote:
>On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
>> > Jan 6 04:30:01 oi kernel: No tape buffers allocated at initialization.
>> > Jan 6 04:30:01 oi kernel: st: Can't allocate new tape buffer (nbr 0).
>> > Jan 6 04:30:01 oi kernel: Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id
>> > 2, lun 0
>>
>> Memory fragmentation. You can work around it by quitting
>> Netscape or doing something else that frees up a ton of
>> memory.

>Hmmm... This is my primary mail/dns/www/everything-on-the-net server, it
>runs headless on another continent, so no netscape. Would running
>something like memtest to grab a chunk of memory and then release it just
>before the backup starts help?

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null count=2 bs=<size of memory - 1mb>

might do the trick.

____
david parsons \bi/ As would backing off to 1.2.13, where st works :-(
\/