Re: Soundcard (YMH719) problems after 2.2.0pre1

Scott Murray (scottm@interlog.com)
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 02:52:46 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Mike Leddy wrote:
>
> > [Also the opl3sa2 module now complains:
> > No Yamaha audio controller found
> > opl3sa2.c: chipset version = 7
> > It never used to and that's a little strange since none of the pre2.2.0
> > patches have
> > touched the opl3sa2.c source file - I expect its some type of side
> > effect]
> <snip>
>
> I had a similar case here. It's fixed in pre5.
>
> > Board 1 has Identity 81 ff ff ff ff 20 00 a8 65: YMH0020 Serial No -1
> <snip>
>
> Same identity as for my sound card. My card's packaging says it has an
> OPL3-SAx, and you seem to be sure that's what you've got. In pre5,
> version 7 is identified as OPL3-SA3. I suspect that this is wrong. I
> did suggest that the numbers 1, 2 and 4 which were considered `version
> numbers' in pre4 might actually be flags. Does anyone believe that?

It sounded good to me and that's what the driver does now. The patch I
sent to Alan (and the list I think) made it into pre6. Actually, I don't
have any documentation on the SAx, so the driver treats it just like a SA3,
which has been working fine so far.

Originally, I was unsure of the version numbering because I only had the
'4' that my own SAx card yielded to go on. Hopefully, Yamaha haven't done
anything odd that will screw up this new scheme. If anyone knows where I
can find docs for the SAx (YMF719 chipset), I'd appreciate looking at them.

Scott