Re: Cheap network for two hosts ?

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 03:29:09 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

>>scales well. (two 10 + hub/cards/cables = many 10. Two 100 + h/c/c = many
>>10 or with a slightly more expensive hub = many 100.)..
>>

>Irrelevent for a cheap 2 computer network. Also 100 baseT hubs are not
>"slightly more expensive", they are alot more expensive. Something like $30
>to $200 (show prices) when looking at the cheapest comfigurations and "El
>Cheapo" manufacturers (A la PC Chips; maker of the fake cache chipped
>motherboards).

I have a PC-Chips motherboard. What is this about fake cache?
Is it possible my machine doesn't have real cache? How do I
tell? It supposedly has 1Mb of cache. When I disable external
cache in my CMOS it slows down from around 1200 in Norton SI to
around 20 in SI. That makes it look like there certainly is
cache. I'm interested in whatever you can tell me though.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net