Re: [linux-audio-dev] ISA Plug & Play support in kernel

John Alvord (jalvo@cloud9.net)
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 06:38:04 GMT

On 8 Jan 1999 13:09:33 +0100, you wrote:

> Jamie Lokier <lkd@tantalophile.demon.co.uk> writes:
>> On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 09:19:21AM +0000, David Howells wrote:
>>
>> > * Doing the configuration management inside the kernel means that
>> > drivers can have their resource values changed on the fly without having
>> > to be reloaded... This isn't as bad as it sounds, it just takes a little
>> > bit of discipline on the part of the kernel and the driver.
>>
>> I'm not convinced this is a good idea. [...]
>>
>> We get by perfectly well without on-the-fly reassignments now; I don't
>> see a pressing need for it.
>>
>Keep in mind that as soon as we want to do hot-plugging for PCI(*), we need
>to do on-the-fly reassignment. And in that case we might as well go all the
>way and have one uniform interface for such stuff in the kernel.
>
>*: ... from what I gleaned from a discussion of this on linux-kernel a few
> months or so ago, i.e. I might be wrong.

Isn't there a big upcomming problem with USB and firewire devices
which are naturally hot-pluggable?

John Alvord
Music, Management, Poetry and more...
http://www.candlelist.org/kuilema