Re: MM deadlock [was: Re: arca-vm-8...]

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 10:35:10 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Ack. I've been having a closer look, and making the superblock lock
> recursive doesn't work

That's fine - the superblock lock doesn't need to be re-entrant, because
__GFP_IO is quite sufficient for that one.

The thing I want to make re-entrant is just semaphore accesses: at the
point where we would otherwise deadlock on the writer semaphore it's much
better to just allow nested writes. I suspect all filesystems can already
handle nested writes - they are a lot easier to handle than truly
concurrent ones.

Linus