Re: Cheap network for two hosts ?

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 19:34:32 -0400

"Mike A. Harris" <mharris@ican.net>
> On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Horst von Brand wrote:

[...]

> >> While coax may not be the latest and greatest it definately works
> >> perfectly well for many if not most people, providing you do not have a
> >> large number of machines on the network.

> >But it's a mess.

> I only agree in one respect. That it's like finding the bad
> light bulb on a Christmas tree. Other than that, I disagree.

Exactly!

> > You have to be very careful with conectors, terminators,

> But you can be careless with UTP connectors and hubs?

No, but any trouble there is strictly local, and so not too disruptive and
easy to find. If you value uptime in a larguish network, thin coax is out.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616