Re: us.kernel.org mirroring inconsistency

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
10 Jan 1999 20:27:48 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.4.05.9901100712180.2031-100000@corellia.edlund.org>,
Henrik Edlund <henrik@edlund.org> wrote:
>On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Alex Buell wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Florian Lohoff wrote:
>>
>> > More disturbing i think are people pulling the whole tarball everytime.
>> > I think we have to force them to learn how patch works and I think
>> > we should do by releasing the patches 48 hours prior to the whole
>> > tarball. The ones urgently wanting to have the kernel get the
>> > patch.
>>
>> Make that a week!
>
>What about users grabbing Linux for the first time? Are you gonna force
>them to get a old version and patch it until eternity? That is one hell of
>a way to welcome new users...

A new user who's up for compiling a kernel is probably not going to be
put off by having to apply patchfiles.

____
david parsons \bi/ The bulk of the new users will either be happy with
\/ what's on the computer or on their distribution CD.