Re: 2.0.36 networking lock

Wojtek Pilorz (wpilorz@bdk.pl)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:46:24 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Diego Liziero wrote:

> Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 22:50:27 +0100 (MET)
> From: Diego Liziero <pmcq@emmenet.it>
> To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Cc: Diego Liziero <pmcq@se1.emmenet.it>
> Subject: 2.0.36 networking lock
>
> Is there anyone still workin on 2.0.* kernel?
>
> After 2.0.36 upgrade I've had a couple of networking lock in a
> heavily loaded server.
>
> Symptoms:
> -If I connect to the server with ssh (ssh server) I get no prompt for
> password and after a while I get a timeout message.
> -Previous ssh connections still keep working.
[...]

This one happens quite often to me, but the server machine is not Linux
at all (an SVR4 UNIX);
When it happens, it looks like that:
I have just finished an ssh connection from my workstation to the server;
I start a new ssh connection to the same server and it appears to hang;
netstat -a on the server shows that a connection from my workstation from
port x is still not quite finished;
Linux on my workstation probably thinks that it is over, to is allocates
the same port x to SSH (or let SSH allocate, I am not quite sure)
The new ssh connection is reported by netstat -a on my local workstation
as being in SYN_SENT state;

I think when it happens to you again you might want to run netstat -a
on the server and your workstation and check whether the symptoms are
similar.

Best regards,

Wojtek