Re: 2.2.0pre4 hangs while fsck'ing at boot time

Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:12:37 +0000

On Mon, Jan 11, 1999 at 10:03:47AM +0100, BertJan Bakker wrote:
> I indeed have a VIA chipset on my motherboard (Apollo VPX).
> I've made a new kernel and it works fine but I don't have DMA now:
>
> | | DMA enabled | DMA disabled |
> | VIA support on | hangs | OK |
> | VIA support off | hangs | OK |
>
> The hanging seems non-deterministic, it usually
> happens after a few hours except for the time it did
> when fsck'ing at boot time. It is always doing something
> with the disks though.

Same with me, though I have the VP2/97 chipset.
I found `hdparm -X34 -d1' lets me use DMA without any hangs.
Speed is markedly improved with it.

Not UDMA though (even though the chipset claims to support it).

-- Jamie

> BTW. Can someone point me to a good manual about the kernel module
> system particularly about the conf.modules file? I read the man
> page and it explains the syntax and all but I still don't understand
> what in a line like "alias iso9660 isofs" determines the name iso9660.
> Who is asking for iso9660 and where can I find all the things it
> could ask for?

`man modprobe' is a start. It explains the syntax, at least.

-- Jamie