Re: OFTOPIC: C vs C++ (was Re: C++ in kernel)

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 00:41:46 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert G. Werner <rwerner@lx1.microbsys.com>
To: Lenart Gabor <lgb@hal2000.hal.vein.hu>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sunday, January 10, 1999 4:08 AM
Subject: OFTOPIC: C vs C++ (was Re: C++ in kernel)

I'm probably stepping into a hornet's nest but this is an interesting
question
to me so:
Would you (and anyone else who would like to make a case) say that writinng
an
opperating system in C++ is probably not a "good idea" or just that trying
convert the Linux kernel would definitely not be a "good idea"?
Hypothetically, say when I get lots better at programing, I decide I want
make another opperating system, I would be fooling myself if I thought I
should use C++.
I'm really not wanting to get into a religious war because I can accept the
idea that some languages are better at some things than others. I plan on
getting good at both C and C++ as they are both widely used and have
important
applications in the real world.
But I have heard that C is much better suited to working closely with
hardware
while C++ is great for creating layers of abstraction that can help
programmers
concentrate on the algorythms. Of course, I'm very new to these languages
so

>> reply

Well, "a" layer of abstraction doesn't necesarily add to bloat so it can
produce code similar to C. And C++ can do virtually anything C can so it
can be used just as well for working with the hardware.

>> reply

most of my information is hearsay.
I would love to hear from several people about this.

Robert G. Werner
rwerner@lx1.microbsys.com
Impeach Conggress!!

"The great question... which I have not been able to answer... is, `What
does
woman want?'"
-- Sigmund Freud

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Lenart Gabor wrote:

> > > Now... what Alan says about the difficulty of supporting it within
the
> > >kernel may very well be the case - I don't know. That said, its time to
> > start
> > >considering the future. C++ cannot be ignored by the kernel forever.
The

> Why not ? It's not important at all which language you're using. It's
> the compiler's task to produce the BEST code. The performance and the
speed
> of the compiled code is the function of the compiler's goodness and not
> the language itself. Choosing language is only important for people
> to make programs easier. But of course simplier language requires simplier
> compiler and optimizer to produce almost the same code than more complex
> languages. That's why a C compiler usually produce smaller and faster
> code than a C++ compiler. as far as I know :)
>
> ---[ LGB/DC ]------------[ University Of Veszprém ]------[ Lénárt
Gábor ]---
> "The truth is out there" "We're l{ea,i}ving together" "The future is
dark."
> ---[ 88/422022(4602) ]---[ http://lgb.hal.vein.hu ]---------[ 87/477074 ]

---