Re: UP kernel reports SMP?

Serguei Koubouchine (nuke@bayside.net)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 07:07:22 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Hans Lermen wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 nuke@bayside.net wrote:
>
> > i haven't been able to use dosemu with a devel kernel in about a year. no
> > on my UP system, no matter which kernel (UP, SMP) i'm using, it always warns
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > me that i'm using an SMP kernel and it may be unstable.
>
> Now, if you have an UP system, just compile an UP kernel;-) For several
> reasons DOSEMU has difficulties with SMP, that I won't discuss here.
> We try to detect 'running SMP' by examining /proc/cpu to count the CPUs in
> use. ... hence running an SMP kernel on UP fakes the wrong condition.

i thought i made that clear.. i do not run SMP kernels. i've tested them to
see the effect, but my primary system always runs a UP kernel because it's a
UP machine. here's some configure fun:

creating ./config.status
creating Makefile.conf
creating src/include/config.h
configure: warning:
configure: warning: Your kernel is SMP
configure: warning:

Configure finished. Do 'make' to compile Dosemu.

nuklear [/usr/src/dosemu-0.99.6]# uname -a
Linux nuklear.localhost 2.2.0-pre1 #1 Tue Dec 29 15:17:36 EST 1998 i586
unknown
nuklear [/usr/src/dosemu-0.99.6]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 5
model : 4
model name : Pentium MMX
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 167.050261
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : yes
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 mmx
bogomips : 333.41

You have mail in /var/spool/mail/nuke
nuklear [/usr/src/dosemu-0.99.6]#

^^ my kernel is not SMP, but dosemu 0.99.6's configure reported that it was.

> Furhermore, there were some interim 2.1.x kernels which had done
> spell checking on the /proc/cpu output. For these kernels parsing
> /proc/cpu went berserk. ... this is fixed in the meantime (both, in the
> kernel and in DOSEMU).

i doubt this is the problem

> > furthermore, dosemu
> > always compiles against the devel kernel cleanly, but freezes when booting.
>
> Some combinations of 2.1.x kernel header files and DOSEMU versions had
> problems and to compile DOSEMU against 2.0 header files always solved that
> problem, because the binary interfaces are identical.
> However, also these problems have been solved in the meantime and DOSEMU
> is aware of 2.1.x header files.
>

> > i'm not sure if this is a dosemu or kernel problem. i've mailed the dosemu
> > maintainer, and got no reply.
>
> Your post reached dosemu-bugs@ at a time the 'spell checking bug' was
> known. It may happen under those conditions that an 'ack' gets lost,
> though generally you'll get one.
>
> Conclusion: Latest DOSEMUs are known to work on latest 2.1.x,
> check http://www.dosemu.org/ for ongoing development.

i'm using dosemu 0.99.6, kernel 2.2.0pre1 (i haven't had time to update to the
latest pre, but this *should* be recent enough)

also: while doing the build of 0.99.6, i recieved this error:
cc1: Invalid option `-fno-gcse'
make[2]: *** [hdinfo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/dosemu-0.99.6/src/tools/periph'
make[1]: *** [tools/periph] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/dosemu-0.99.6/src'
make: *** [default] Error 2
nuklear [/usr/src/dosemu-0.99.6]#

which doesn't seem right, because configure should have tested for it. my
compiler is:
gcc version egcs-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release)

my system is a UP p166, glibc2.0.7, linux 2.2.0pre1

any help is appreciated :)
| / |/ /_ __/ /_____ | Nuke Skyjumper |
| / / // / '_/ -_) | "Master of the Farce" |