Re: linux-kernel's extremely slow turnaround time

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 02:05:48 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, David S. Miller wrote:

> Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 14:36:57 -0500
> From: Jordan Mendelson <jordy@wserv.com>
>
> Also, what kind of box is vger right now and what kind of
> CPU/memory load is the box at on average?
>
> SS10, 40Mhz SuperSparc, 128MB ram. Running 2.0.33vger + bunch of
> local networking hacks to kill various bogus sites sending ICMP
> redirects to it (some I caught were from Australia, haha very
> funny... ftp.kernel.org gets these from time to time too)
>
> Keep in mind that vger also does loads of CVS activity (read as: very
> disk and memory intensive) and this can cut into the cpu time zmailer
> gets and occaisionally causes thrashing when many people hit vger with
> anoncvs updates etc. (so for the weekend I have anoncvs turned off so
> vger can catch up with all the email backlog).
>
> A little known fact that caused the recent problems is that the
> subscription list to linux-kernel tripled in size around the time when
> Linus started doing 2.2.0 pre-releases and the masses started to
> notice.

Have ya ever tried qmail? I can't comment on it's ability to handle
huge lists, but I here it's pretty scalable.

zmailer is nice too, don't get me wrong... I was just wondering how the
two compare.

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2182 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2201 for the rich and the dead.
740 days remaining in the Raw Deal.