Re: 2.2-pre6 APM_POWER_OFF doesn't work on Gateway Solo 2100

Todd A. Wood (tawood-noreply@datacomm.ch)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:27:34 +0100

Jim Phillips wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On my Gateway Solo 2100 with a 2.2.0-pre6 kernel and
> CONFIG_APM_POWER_OFF=y the machine doesn't power down after shutdown.
>
> The rest of APM appears to function normally. The last two lines
> displayed on the console are:
>
> The system is halted
> System halted.
>
> This used to work with the 2.0 kernels. Thanks for looking into this.
> Please reply directly to me as I don't subscribe to this list.

Look in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help

CONFIG_APM_POWER_OFF
Enable the ability to power off the computer after the Linux kernel
is halted. You will need software (e.g., a suitable version of the
halt(8) command ("man 8 halt")) to cause the computer to power down.
Recent versions of the sysvinit package available from
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/daemons/init/ (user:
anonymous) contain support for this ("halt -p" shuts down Linux and
powers off the computer, if executed from runlevel 0). As with the
other APM options, this option may not work reliably with some APM
BIOS implementations.

--
Red Hat Fix is to edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt
   change command="halt" to command="halt -p"

Sincerely, Todd A. Wood Wood Consulting Group, Inc.