Re: Cheap network for two hosts ?

Steven Roberts (strobert@ata-sd.com)
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:33:52 -0800

"Mike A. Harris" wrote:
< cost comparison clipped >

> Really, it depends on the EXACT specifics of the situation. It
> depends on the projected expansion of the network as well. I
> would say to anyone planning on having 10 machines or less in
> their home, to go with a coax network if they want to save money.
> It is just as fast unless you spend a bundle on a switch, or go
> 100mbit.
>
> The problems with coax don't particularly manifest themselves
> much in a home environment as they do say in a school lab where
> people steal terminators, etc... Bringing one machine off the
> network at home is usually no big deal. I just unplug the T from
> the card, and my network sings merrily along.
unless you live with other folks who don't always get the leave the T
plugged
in bit. Which is why I finally went to an 8-port hub (cost me about $50
on
onsale). I can home from a vacation to a rude network situation. My
roomate had unplugged his machine the wrong way (left an open end)
and had disabled my internet servers (which btw, linux boxes are not --
at least they didn't use to be -- happy with an NFS server going down
and staying down for a week)
With UTP, just the machine would have been down, my two internet servers
would have
still been able to talk to each other.

> If someone doesn't mind spending the cash for a hub and whatnot,
> then I'd say, go for it. It does scale better to larger
> networks, but that isn't likely to matter much in the home
> anyways. Coax is certainly good for the home still. I get
> approx 700kbps through my NE2k's on my coax network.
Of course, I'm now on a switch (6 100Mbit, 8 10Mbit ports). Got it
indirect through a surplus auction new for under $300. the linux
machines are now really happy (amazing what cheap PCI DEC chipset 10/100
-- about $25 a piece -- do for performance, dropping CPU overhead)

Regards,
Steve