Re: setfont does not work 2.0 -> 2.1 ?

Nimrod Zimerman (zimerman@deskmail.com)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 00:54:43 +0200

On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 08:20:14PM +0200, Andrus Kangro wrote:

> I'm using iso01.f16 font for console, as I'm using characters õäöü (o~ a"
> o" u") when writing e-mail in Pine. With 2.0.35 everything is OK, but with
> 2.[12] series kernels I can't see these characters any more (o~ is o and
> o" a" u" just disappear). in xterm everything is OK, but in console I just
> don't see them. I have to use cp850-8x16 now, where o~ is o, but a" o" u"
> are normal.

This is potentially an issue with the default Unicode map. It appears that
things it doesn't like - it doesn't show. I experienced the same problem
with Hebrew characters which I use - and just disappeared after I switched
to 2.1.x.

My solution was to switch back to the dumb Unicode map (or, if you have a
more accurate map, use it). It goes something like
'loadunimap /usr/lib/kbd/consoletrans/def.uni', assuming the map is
installed in its default location. 'loadunimap' is from the kbd package.

Please let me know if that solved your problem. It might be a good idea to
add this to the Changes file, if that is indeed the case.

Nimrod