Re: Cheap network for two hosts ?

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 00:19:51 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:

>> > You have to be very careful with conectors, terminators,
>
>> But you can be careless with UTP connectors and hubs?
>
>No, but any trouble there is strictly local, and so not too disruptive and
>easy to find.

That is a standard fact about UTP networks.

> If you value uptime in a larguish network, thin coax is out.

Read the subject line. Does the statement you just made have any
relevance to it? Is a two host network "largish"? Sorry, coax
is definitely in. We're not debating the FACTS of the advantages
and disadvantages of the different networking media available,
that we definitely agree on, because they are widely known and
not contested. The fact is that we are talking about a VERY
SMALL home network of 2 machines that must also be cheap. Cheap
is relative to the size of one's wallet, however coax is still
cheaper than UTP, once again when you put this messages Subject
header into the equation.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net