Re: linux-kernel's extremely slow turnaround time

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:32:04 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:

> How about compiling majordomo then? The latest perls have (experimental)
> support for compiling to binary.
>
> Just a random thought... should try it sometime around here.

Probably doable. There are very few fancy structures in MJ 1.x, as it has
to be Perl4 compatible. Very few evals and the like as well.

However, the best fix here is probably a hardware one. There's no point
wasting any effort on tuning MJ 1.x, as the MJ2 alphas are now usable (the
very cool digest support appeared in CVS a few days ago). MJ2's default
delivery mechanism might be at odds with the current exploder setup
though.

It's high time VGER had an upgrade - the last one was from SunOS to Linux
like two years ago. A single mid-end PC100 machine (read CHEAP) with a
couple fast drives doing nothing else should be able to easily handle all
the Vger list management and a substantial portion of the delivery.

Anyway, David Miller says he has plans to deal with this, so we'll just
have to wait and see. Maybe we'll get cvs.kernel.org and
lists.kernel.org..