Re: Linux 2.2.0-pre6 bug -- error mounting CDROM

Elias Ross (eross@u.washington.edu)
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:09:50 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Jens Axboe wrote:

>What drive is this? Have you been using 2.1 kernels earlier or are
>you just now trying out the 2.2.0-pre series? And the drive isn't
>empty?

This is /dev/hdc. This is an internal CDROM for the Sony Vaio notebook
computer. (Which I assume is some standard hardware) I had tried a much
earlier kernel 2.1, though I had different problems, so I never kept
trying.

>I guess you can tell I'm dumbfounded by this, so please e-mail
>me all the relevant information. Could you also try and set
>debug=1 in cdrom.c?

Okay, I hope I set it up right. Now the messages look like this:
(typing in by hand, since I can't get on the net either yet...)

cdrom: entering cdrom_open
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
cdrom: entering cdrom_open
cdrom: entering open_for_data
cdrom: drive_status=2
cdrom: the tray is open... [it is closed BTW]
cdrom: trying to close the tray.
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: packet command error: error=0x50
ATAPI device hdc:
Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
Invalid field in command packet -- (asc=0x24, ascq=0x00)
The failed "Start Stop Unit" packet command was:
"1b 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
Error in command packet byte 0 bit 0
cdrom: bummer. tried to close the tray but failed.
cdrom: open failed.
cdrom: door unlocked.
cdrom: Use count for "/dev/hdc" now 0
mount: No medium found

Elias Ross = eross@u.washington.edu = http://www.maison-otaku.net/~genman
May the source be with you = Watch, breathe, and live anime = Oh you!