Re: Possible bug in zip drive driver (2.2.0pre6)

David Campbell (campbell@torque.net)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 21:13:18 +0800

From: Alan Turner <alan@suburbia.com.au>
Subject: Possible bug in zip drive driver (2.2.0pre6)
To: campbell@torque.net
Date sent: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 23:33:01 +1100 (EST)

> Hi

> Sorry if this has been reported/fixed or I'm sending to the wrong person. But
> anyway here goes!
>
> I have a parallel port zip drive. The ppa driver is compiled as a module. I am
> using kmod to load the modules, and I added the following to root's crontab
> as suggested in another kernel doc:-
>
> 0-59/5 * * * * /sbin/rmmod -a
>
> I paritioned the zip disk as follows:-
>
> /dev/sda1 -> 40M
> /dev/sda2 -> 40M
>
> I setup the two partitions as a RAID-1 array (just to test out the md driver)
> and mounted it.
>
> After a while of not using it, I got a message saying:-
>
> Releasing ppa1
> scsi : 0 hosts.

Sorry mate [1], but this is one for the RAID people. It would appear that the
md driver some how failed to lock down the underlying SCSI driver. When a SCSI
disk is mounted (natively) the mid-level driver forces a module count increase,
and also a module count decrease when unmounted.

What you observed should only occur if the usage count for the ppa driver is
zero. How that occured I am not sure...

> This was followed by a kernel page fault. The machine didn't crash completely,
> but I couldn't umount /zip or use the terminal the error was sent to until I
> rebooted.

I still have to chase down an OOPS related to the ppa driver when a machine ran
out of virtual memory. The info I have is very sketchy relating to that report
since it appears the mid-level scsi driver failed to allocate some memory and
the ppa driver went feral (the ppa driver does not use kmalloc).

David Campbell

[1] An appology used by Australians
campbell@torque.net
Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux parallel port solutions.

Current project list:
a) Get ZIP Plus drive back from waranty claim
b) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)