Re: 2.2.0-pre6: Problem with module versions since

Martijn van Oosterhout (v3100411@student.anu.edu.au)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 13:53:13 +0000

Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

> Read what I wrote. "If you change your configuration." That's why the
> dependencies span the entire tree: so that if the user turns on a new file
> system or a new network protocol, they don't have to run 'make dep' again.

This is where the problem lies. The Kernel-HOWTO, the kernel config, etc
all say you should run make dep every time you compile a kernel. If, as
you suggest, this is not nessesary, then indeed it would be better to
recurse through the entire tree.

> On my machine, it's 3%, by actual measurement. I trust my measurements
> more than yours.

Mine were by actual measurement too, doing it multiple times using
'time' on each one.

> Do it. Turn it on, capture the output of "make dep", and grep for
> genksyms.

Okay, here we go:

kleptog//usr/src/linux>grep CONFIG_MOD .config
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
kleptog//usr/src/linux>make dep | grep -i genksyms
kleptog//usr/src/linux>

Maybe this is because it's 2.2.0pre6 ??

I have always had CONFIG_MODVERSIONS on and never had a problem
with it (except that bug that's been there since 2.1.21).

> Hey, if you want fast broken dependencies, just don't run make dep
> *at all* and your kernel will still build. The first time.

If, as it says in the Kernel-HOWTO, you run make clean each time,
the kernel will build properly each time. Although I just noticed
that make menuconfig doesn't display that message anymore. Does this
mean make clean is not required either?

Martijn van Oosterhout
Australia