Re: US relaxes crypto restrictions

G. Gregory (ggregory@bitbox.co.uk)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:49:49 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Thomas wrote:
> > The US Government considers this kind of crypto hook the same as
> > exporting crypto. (Kind of the way that some religions equate lusting
> > after a woman the same as adultry. Allowing crypto into your source
> > is the same as encrypting in the real world.)

> What if we set up encryption hooks and include a 56-Bit DES library?
> AFAIK this is perfectly legal (Microsoft and Netscape are doing the
> same). Someone outside the US (or better the Waasenar Agreement) could
> provide a crypt-daemon or kernel-module for _R_E_A_L_ encryption then.

Wouldn't that just cause problems in France based on previous posts
content. It would be better IMO to build in the hook then supply a
compression algorithm. Then there are no download problems, it is
obviously a compression hook and not a crypto hook as we have supplied an
algorithm for compression. Love to see a lawyer prove that the compression
routine is actually a substitute for a crypto algorithm :-)

Graeme

--
Graeme Gregory                          | "god is a number you cannot
ggregory@bitbox.co.uk                   | count to, you are posthuman