Re: 2.2.0-pre6: Problem with module versions since...

Martijn van Oosterhout (v3100411@student.anu.edu.au)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:50:38 +0000

Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

I concede on that other thread. fastdep was actually more
sophisticated than I realized.

> Specifically, 2.1.21 changed Rules.make so that LX_OBJS and OX_OBJS
> no longer get compiled with -DMODVERSIONS. So kernel/ksyms.c never
> turns on 'Using_Versions'. Every kernel built since 2.1.21 appears
> to insmod as a non-versioned kernel.
>
> As soon as someone fixes this, two years of accumulated untested
> CONFIG_MODVERSIONS funkiness will spring out.

Just out of curiousity, what could go wrong?

> The right fix
> is probably to change MODVERSIONS above to CONFIG_MODVERSIONS.

What's the problem with this? Would it actually work?

> I have no patch for this one because I've got enough patches in progress
> already.

Martijn van Oosterhout
Australia