Re: Re: Building .config into the kernel

Matthias Andree (mandree@sx1.HRZ.Uni-Dortmund.DE)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:01:28 +0100

On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 10:04:47AM -0600, Mitchell Blank Jr wrote:
> As someone already pointed out, people who build their own kernel (either
> from .tar.bz2 or by playing RPM games) probably know what is in their
> kernel and can report it themselves. The biggest need is differentiating
> between 2.2.0, 2.2.0-redhat, 2.2.0-suse, 2.2.0-debian, ...

SuSE have several RPMs in their packages: one, linclude with just the
includes, linux with the actual kernel sources (without includes, they have
a dependency for that) and finally lx_suse with their hacked kernel version
complete with includes. Anyways, I think, there are a lot of people who just
follow some Kernel compilation FAQ to get their own kernel compiled with
different settings, yet they do know nothing about patches. This is where
a sort of patch registration comes in handy. It need not necessarily be in
the version itself, but a /proc/kernelconfig would also be fine. PLUS: if we
NUMBER each configuration option, not re-assigning numbers as options
disappears, we can handle all options with 2 bit each:
yes/module/no/illegal-state. The tool that decompresses the .config
information could then be either in user-space (binutils/modutils?) or a
module.

We can of course have the configuration linked in in plain text (stripping
everything that's commented out and stripping CONFIG_ prefixes), I don't
actually care since it does not matter if my bzImage is 891 or 896 k :) For
people with embedded systems, this .config-stored-in-kernel-thingy should be
optional to allow for tiny kernels.

--
Matthias Andree
                                   --- How to obtain PGP public key