Re: PCI IRQ conflict causing X-Windows bug?

Florian Weimer (fw@cygnus.stuttgart.netsurf.de)
14 Jan 1999 18:07:31 +0100

Benjamin Redelings I <bredelin@ucsd.edu> writes:

> Further, today I noticed that I could move the mouse in X only if I
> pressed a key, although the keystrokes went nowhere that I could see.
> That stopped (I think) when I turned off gpm on boot.

This problem is unrelated, I guess. You have to take special care if
you want to run both X and gpm at the same time anyway, but it should
be documented in the gpm manpage.

> Anyway, I noticed that both my video card and Realtek 8029 are list as
> having IRQ 12 by both linux and by the motherboard BIOS before boot. If
> I disablemy USB controller, then both are found at IRQ 9. That is
> rather spooky.

I've experienced similar problems with shared PCI IRQs. Try to
manually assign an IRQ to the PCI slot in which the video card (do you
mean graphics card?) is placed. Usually, you can do this using the
setup program of your BIOS.