Re: draft for review - press release

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:03:28 -0500 (EST)

Theodore Y. Ts'o writes:

> Albert, your press release is a lot better, but it's still better
> suited for a technical magazine such as Dr. Dobbs Journal.

It is hard to bend the mind so far.

> As always, it's critical to pitch the press release to the appropriate
> audience. If the idea is to push out this press release to the
> mainstream press,

I can't imagine how this would interest them. The mainstream press
might be mildly interested in the whole free software idea.
Version 2.2 of the Linux kernel would be hard to sell to them.

As I was writing, I kept thinking about InfoWorld. Hopefully I wasn't
too far off from that target. The magazines read by senior MIS people
seem most important to me, whatever they may be.

> it needs to concentrate much more on how Linux 2.2
> offers solutions to the problems which the target audience would be
> interested in. (i.e., business solutions if this is targetted at
> financial magazines, ISP solutions if it is targetted at that crew,
> and so on).

Ugh, pre-fab articles?

For the crypto: "Business secrets can be kept secure inside...". Hmmm?

> Quotes (i.e., testimonials) from appropriate represenatatives
> is also good.

Not my department at all. (and damn they sound silly!)

> Let me stress a very important point --- before you write a press
> release, think very carefully about exactly what you wish to acomplish,
> and who will be reading the press release. The whole point of press
> releases is to communiate to *other* people, and they often have a
> different mindset than we do.

Actually, I most wanted to drag out ideas and hopefully find several
people better than myself.