Re: UID width

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
15 Jan 1999 00:23:19 +0100

"Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@MIT.EDU> writes:

> Well, I'm very happy to stand corrected. Which interfaces have been
> rev'ed to date, and how well have you liked the result? I am interested
> to hear how well it's been working out.

This should be a more-or-less complete list of symbols in glibc 2.1 which
have superseded functions from glibc 2.0:

_IO_do_write _IO_fclose _IO_fdopen _IO_file_attach
_IO_file_close_it _IO_file_fopen _IO_file_init
_IO_file_overflow _IO_file_seekoff _IO_file_setbuf
_IO_file_sync _IO_file_underflow _IO_file_write
_IO_file_xsputn _IO_fopen _sys_errlist _sys_nerr
_sys_siglist chown fclose fdopen fopen pthread_attr_init
sys_errlist sys_nerr sys_sigabbrev sys_siglist tmpfile

Note that this includes all the _IO_* functions because the layout of
FILE has changed. This in fact demonstrates the one major problem with
symbol versioning -- suppose we have a glibc-2.1 program which passes
a FILE* to a shared library which was compiled with glibc 2.0...

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.    |      http://www.noris.de/~smurf/