Re: Linux still vulnerable to DoS attacks through ppp link

Gerhard Mack (gmack@imag.net)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 00:46:42 -0800 (PST)

I have this randomly happening as well, it's happened as I set a long
download, go to bed then wake up and find ftp frose (without timming out)
along with everything else :/
I don't think it's script kiddies though because when I'm on irc, the
server tells everyone I have an address that resolves to 127.0.0.1.
(staff.starchat.net) :P
Last kernel that had this prob was 2.2.0-pre6.
I would be happy to try anything to help track it though (just tell me
how)
Gerhard

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Alex Buell wrote:

> About a few minutes ago whilst I was on IRC, some braindead script kiddie
> managed to $$$$ up my ppp connect such that I was left hanging online, no
> data coming in, no data coming out through the ppp link. Repeated pings to
> other sites did not return anything. I had to do a ppp-off and ppp-on to
> restore the link.
>
> Is there any methods or ways I can set a watch and log whatever is
> happening so I can post a more detailed report to get it fixed?
>
> What's annoying is that I have nothing in the logs to indicate what
> happened.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
> --
> /\_/\ Legalise cannabis now!
> ( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
> > ^ < Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.
>
> http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - *new* - rewritten for text browser users!
>
> Linux tahallah 2.2.0-pre7 #71 SMP Wed Jan 13 22:10:07 EST 1999
> Two Intel Pentium Pro 166MHz processors, 331.78 total bogomips, 48M RAM
> System library 2.0.109
>

> -

gmack@imag.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.