RE: [patch] arca-vm-19 [Re: Results: Zlatko's new vm patch] HM Patch

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:48:28 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

> Tested both but got no better performance.

Steve said me now that arca-vm-19 way of checking the swap cache size is
working well (he did a mistake testing it two days ago). So I'll return to
it since it was the most stable/autotuning here.

> That's the cause, why i made a quick hack (not that smart for sure ;*) )
> which free's buffer memory again, limits page cache and avoids all that
> swapping (see patch below).

No, it' s not the right thing to do. We may want to free a page in the
file cache instead of a buffer for example. Wait a bit. I am reverting to
the arca-vm-19 algorithm, then I'll sent you a new patch to try out.

Andrea Arcangeli