Re: linux-kernel's extremely slow turnaround time

Tim Kelley (tpkelley@winkinc.com)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 08:32:45 -0600

> In the good old days we had newsgroups linux.*
> Such a system has many advantages: The infrastructure already
> exists to handle very large volumes of news, and has a response
> time that is an order of magnitude better than the present
> mail-based system. Secondly, one has news readers that know about
> selecting authors and topics, killing threads, ignoring articles
> that were posted to several groups and have been read already.
> The current mail based system on the other hand will send me the
> same message twice if it is sent to both linux-kernel and linux-scsi.
>
> So, a very fast and user-friendly system was replaced by a slow and
> user-unfriendly system. That was a pity. Of course there was a reason
> for the change - people have quoted the increased risk of receiving
> spam once one's email address appears in a net post; also the increased
> amount of junk in a newsgroup.

Why doesn't he just use INN instead of majordomo and run a private nntp
server? Then you would have the privacy of a mailing list and the
flexibility of a news server. You could separate kernel topics into
separate newsgroups as well. This is much more suitable since people
are downloading only the messages they want to read.

--
Tim Kelley
tpkelley@winkinc.com