Re: ISSUE: psaux does not load in 2.2.0pre6

Charles Cazabon (charlesc-linux@qcc.sk.ca)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 08:53:26 -0600

Matthew Kirkwood <weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> A lot of PCs lock hard when you attach a PS/2 mouse while running. (I'm
> pretty sure this is a hardware thing, rather than a driver issue, although
> I don't remember being foolish enough to try it on a running Linux box :)

Actually, on a lot of hardware, inserting on removing a PS/2 mouse or keyboard
while powered-on can fry the keyboard controller chip on the motherboard.
It will work 99 times out of 100, but every so often the hardware will blow up.
I've seen over a dozen machines fried this way over the years.

Charles Cazabon