Re: *** next draft - press release ***

Michael K. Johnson (johnsonm@redhat.com)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:18:42 -0500

"Albert D. Cahalan" writes:
>>> Linus Torvalds, native to Finland, lives with his family in Santa
>>> Clara CA, USA. He and others created Linux as a labor of love,
>>> which may account for the superior software quality.
>
>Biographical info seems to be part of most press releases that mention
>a person. It makes the person seem real, human, and likeable.
>I don't know what you mean by your comment about "native to".
>The location could be changed to something less specific like
>"Silicon Valley", but surely Linus Torvalds has an unlisted number.

You are correct that the biographical info is good form. Perhaps
Linus has an opinion on how he wants his address put?

>My second sentence is a bit pathetic, but something like it would
>be very good to have. It crushes the "freeware is junk" idea and
>reduces suspicion of our motives. It is important to showcase the
>quality. Normal companies simply can't claim that their employees
>passionately care about the code. Anyone have replacement text?

Linus and the rest of the Linux Kernel Development Team created
and maintain Linux as a labor of love. Their devotion to software
quality has created a world-class operating system adopted by
large enterprises, small businesses, governments, educational
institutions, and home users alike.

Or something like that. I think it works better as two sentences,
and I think the quality has to be tied to something concrete; as
an abstract concept only, I think it will not convey much to the
readership.

michaelkjohnson

prudent as the heavy petting of literature." -- Fran Lebowitz
Linux Application Development http://www.redhat.com/~johnsonm/lad/