Re: *** next draft - press release ***

Riccardo Facchetti (fizban@tin.it)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 21:13:25 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Jim Gettys wrote:

> > I suggest to change that sentence this way:
> >
> > "Today the Linux Software Development Team led by Linus Torvalds ..."
>
> Should be "kernel development team"; others lead other parts of the
> system. Be generous in giving credit to others; there is more than
> enough to go around. Be inclusive, not exclusive.

Yes. You are obviously right. Anyway we have to claim strongly that there
is a Linux Develompent Team because we can tell the masses that there is
at least a team that may address their problems with Linux (not counting
that every linux distributor have its own helpdesk).

> > * Superior workstation and day to day working environment, with super
> > stable Operating System and high quality software including Windows-like
> > Graphical User Interfaces, complete Office Automation Suites compatible
> > with the Microsoft Office suite, Internet Navigation packages for
> > running faster on the Information Highway, complete development suites
> > for writing your own software with the language of your choice.
>
> I think that these claims are premature....

[...]

> I just installed Gnome; I have the new office software that
> is on the market; there IS serious hope (and maybe KDE already provides
> this level of function, but I note it is not "standard" on Linux today),
> of Linux having a competative or superior GUI within the year
> but any such claim right now is blowing smoke.

Look at KDE ! I'm using it and I think its interface is really cool.
I use StarOffice too.

And for how distribution vendors are presenting their X11 installations,
look at the news on the kde page (www.kde.org). KDE is standard alredy on
some distributions.
The above claims seems to me perfectly true.

> > "Initial estimates suggest that Linux is well introduced into the server
> > niche owning 17% of the market not counting the innumerable desktop
> > installations for which an estimate is really difficult given the 'free
> > download, free copy' distribution policy."
>
> You better have the reference here to the analyst report. Also
> the "not counting" clause is very confusing, particularly for non native
> speakers of English.

Okay. Who have told us about 17% ? Who is the analist (I was just using a
number seen on the list in some previous posting).

Ciao,
Riccardo.